George Müller – PB

George Müller

George MullerGeorge Müller (German – born as : Johann Georg Ferdinand Müller) (Sept 27, 1805 –  March 10, 1898), a Christian evangelist and Director of the Ashley Down orphanage in Bristol, England, cared for 10,024 orphans in his life.

He was well known for providing an education to the children under his care, to the point where he was accused of raising the poor above their natural station in life. He also established 117 schools which offered Christian education to over 120,000 children, many of them being orphans.

Short Biography of George Muller

In 1828, Müller offered to work with Jews in England through the London Society for Promoting Christianity Amongst the Jews, and arrived in London on March 19, 1829. By mid-May, he fell ill, and did not think that he would survive.  He was sent to Teignmouth to recuperate and, whilst there, met Henry Craik, who became his lifelong friend. 

Müller returned to London in September, but after ten days started to feel unwell again, blaming it on being confined to his house because of his studies. He asked the Society to send him out to preach but received no reply.

By the end of November he became doubtful whether the Society was the right place for him and on December 12th made the decision to leave but to wait for a month before writing. Müller returned to Exmouth on December 31st for a short holiday and preached at various meetings.

He wrote to the Society in early January, requesting that they might consider allowing him to remain with them and if they would allow him

“to labor in regard to time and place as the Lord might direct me.

This they refused to do at a meeting on January 27, 1830, communicating this to Müller in writing, and thus bringing to an end his association with the Society. He moved from Exmouth to Teignmouth and preached several times for Craik, which led to a number of the congregation asking him to stay and be the minister of the chapel of Ebenezer Chapel in Shaldon, Devon, on a salary of £55 per annum.

2 Mary Grovers Mueller
Mary was the first wife of George Ferdinand Muller. George, founder of the Ashley Down Orphanage.They married on 7th October 1830 in St Davids church, Exeter. They had four children:
* A stillborn child (9 Aug 1831)
* Lydia (b. 17 Sep 1832 d. 10 Jan 1890)
* Elijah (b. 19 Mar 1834 d. 25 June 1835)
* A stillborn child (12 Jun 1838)
*They were married 39 years until her death on 6 February 1870. George remarried.

On October 7, 1830, he married Mary Groves, the sister of Anthony Norris Groves. At the end of October, he renounced his regular salary, believing that the practice could lead to church members giving out of duty, not desire.

He also eliminated the renting of church pews, arguing that it gave unfair prestige to the rich (based primarily on Jas 2:1–9).

Müller moved to Bristol on May 25, 1832 to begin working at Bethesda Chapel. Along with Henry Craik, he continued preaching there until his death, even while devoted to his other ministries.

In 1834, he founded the Scriptural Knowledge Institution for Home and Abroad, with the goal of aiding Christian schools and missionaries; distributing the Bible and Christian tracts; and providing Day-schools, Sunday-schools and Adult-schools, all upon a Scriptural foundation.

By the end of February 1835, there were five Day-schools – two for boys and three for girls. Not receiving government support and only accepting unsolicited gifts, this organization received and disbursed £1,381,171 ( approximately $2,718,844 US$) – around £90 million in today’s terms.

By the time of Müller’s death, primarily using the money for supporting the orphanages and distributing about 285,407 Bibles, 1,459,506 New Testaments, and 244,351 other religious texts, which were translated into twenty other languages.

The money was also used to support other “faith missionaries” around the world, such as Hudson Taylor.  The work continues to this day.


Orphanages at Ashley Down

The work of Müller and his wife with orphans began in 1836 with the preparation of their own rented home at 6 Wilson Street, Bristol for the accommodation of thirty girls. Soon after, three more houses in Wilson Street were furnished, not only for girls but also for boys and younger children, eventually increasing the capacity for children who could be cared for to 130.

In 1845, as growth continued, the neighbors complained about the noise and disruption to the public utilities, so Müller decided that a separate building designed to house 300 children was necessary, and in 1849, at Ashley Down, Bristol, that home opened.

The architect commissioned to draw up the plans asked if he might do so gratuitously.  By May 26,1870, 1,722 children were being accommodated in five homes, although there was room for 2,050 (No. 1 House – 300, No. 2 House – 400, No. 3, 4 and 5 – 450 each).

By the following year, there were 280 orphans in No. 1 House, 356 in No 2. 450 in No. 3 and 4, and 309 in No. 5 House.

Through all this, Müller never made requests for financial support, nor did he go into debt, even though the five homes cost over £100,000 to build. Many times, he received unsolicited food donations only hours before they were needed to feed the children, further strengthening his faith in God.

For example, on one well-documented occasion, they gave thanks for breakfast when all the children were sitting at the table, even though there was nothing to eat in the house. As they finished praying, the baker knocked on the door with sufficient fresh bread to feed everyone, and the milkman gave them plenty of fresh milk because his cart broke down in front of the orphanage.

George Never Asked for Assistance from Anyone but God

3 Ashley Down
The New Orphan Houses, Ashley Down, commonly known as the Muller Homes, were an orphanage in the district of Ashley Down, in the north of Bristol.
They were built between 1849 and 1870 by the Prussian evangelist George Müller to show the world that God not only heard, but answered, prayer.

The five Houses held 2,050 children at any one time and some 17,000 passed through their doors before the buildings were sold to Bristol City Council in 1958.

Although he never asked any person (only God) for anything, Müller asked those who did support his work to give a name and address in order that a receipt might be given. The receipts were printed with a request that the receipt be kept until the next annual report was issued, in order that the donor might confirm the amount reported with the amount given.

The wording in the image reads:

Owing to the great increase of my work, I have found it necessary to authorize two of my assistants (Mr. Lawford and Mr. Wright) to sign receipts for donations, if needful, in my stead.

Donors are requested, kindly to keep the receipts and to compare them with the “Supplement” to the Report, which records every donation received, so that they may be satisfied that their donations have been properly applied.

The “Supplement” is sent with the Report to every Donor who furnishes me with his or her name and address.

I would earnestly request all Donors (even those who feel it right to give anonymously) to put it in my power to acknowledge their donations at the time they come to hand; and should any Donor, after having done this, not receive a printed receipt within a week, they would much oblige me by giving me information at once.

This interval must, of course, be extended in the case of Donors who send from places out of the United Kingdom. George Müller.

Every single gift was recorded, whether a single farthing, £3,000 or an old teaspoon.  Accounting records were scrupulously kept and made available for scrutiny.

Every morning after breakfast there was a time of Bible reading and prayer, and every child was given a Bible upon leaving the orphanage, together with a tin trunk containing two changes of clothing.  The children were dressed well and educated – Müller even employed a schools inspector to maintain high standards.

In fact, many claimed that nearby factories and mines were unable to obtain enough workers because of his efforts in securing apprenticeships, professional training, and domestic service positions for the children old enough to leave the orphanage.


On March 26, 1875, at the age of 70 and after the death of his first wife in 1870 and his marriage to Susannah Grace Sanger in 1871, Müller and Susannah began a 17-year period of missionary travel:


Müller always expected to pay for their fares and accommodation from the unsolicited gifts given for his own use. However, if someone offered to pay his hotel bill en route, Müller recorded this amount in his accounts.

He travelled over 200,000 miles, an incredible achievement for pre-aviation times. His language abilities allowed him to preach in English, French, and German, and his sermons were translated into the host languages when he was unable to use English, French or German.

In 1892, he returned to England, where he died on March 10, 1898 in New Orphan House No 3.

Views: 0

Scroll to Top